It can be hard to reject diet mentality when we live in a world so ingrained in diet culture. You might have stopped valuing yourself based on the number on the scale – but sometimes messages from TV/magazines/social media can be triggering.
That’s why sometimes doing a little “homework” outside of your sessions with your dietitian can help you with your progress towards your goals. We have wonderful conversations together, but we know that sometimes hearing similar conversations from outside outlets can help too when solidifying a non-diet mindset.
Ways to do this include:
- Working with a counselor or therapist
- Additional reading and/or workbooks (see our recommended list here)
- Following non-diet social media accounts (check out our favorites here)
- Listening to podcasts
There are many wonderful non-diet dietitians out there who take a very similar approach to nutrition as we do. While we don’t have our own podcast (yet … maybe one day?) here are some great ones to check out from some fellow RDs that we love.
Non-Diet Podcasts We Love
- Find Food Freedom – “The Find Food Freedom Podcast was created to help you take simple steps towards food freedom and body respect. Diet culture has taught you to distrust your body; it’s time to dismantle that together!”
- Behind the Binge – “Behind The Binge podcast, hosted by (Greenville, SC local!) Registered Dietitian Marissa Kai Miluk, is your resource to learn more about how to cultivate a healthful relationship with food and your body, free from binge eating.”
- Nourishing Women Podcast – Victoria Myers (a Registered Dietitian and Greenville, SC local!) hosts the Nourishing Women Podcast – a women’s health podcast on all things intuitive eating, body image, holistic healing, wellness and so much more.
- Body Kindness Podcast – “This is not a weight loss show. This is about redefining what it means to pursue health, where your well-being matters more than your weight. When you practice Body Kindness®, you create a more satisfying life by being good to yourself. Learn how self-compassion and acceptance help you cultivate a “caregiver” voice and quiet the “inner critic”.”
- The Embodied & Well Mom Show – “This podcast is about changing the conversation about food, feeding, body trust and living well while mommin’ up.” Great for pregnancy + motherhood specifically related to feeding, body trust, and body image.
- Food Psych – “Registered dietitian nutritionist, certified intuitive eating counselor, and journalist Christy Harrison, MPH, RD, CEDS talks with guests and answers listener questions about making peace with food, healing from disordered eating, learning body acceptance, practicing intuitive eating, escaping harmful wellness culture, and more–all from a body-positive, anti-diet perspective.”
- Maintenance Phase – “Debunking the junk science behind health fads, wellness scams and nonsensical nutrition advice.”
- The Weight Inclusive Podcast – “Join host Heather Caplan and her registered dietitian (RD) peers as they talk shop, share their philosophies, and keep it real with you. Discussion topics include weight-inclusive nutrition and dietetics, intuitive eating, sports nutrition, career paths, and more.”
Last but not least check out some Podcasts that our CEO and founder Brittany has been featured on:
- Beautiful You Podcast – The Consequences of being held Captive to a Diet, How to Prioritize a Well Balanced Diet in College, Benefits of Meal Planning & Building a Balanced Plate with Brittany Jones
- The Empowered Podcast – Weight Inclusive : How to Achieve Health Goals without the Scale