Who doesn’t love peanut butter cookies during the holidays? I put a spin on this classic recipe using almond flour (gluten free) and giving my guests the option of choosing peanut butter and jelly, or peanut butter and chocolate.
I recommend using organic fruit preserves (without high fructose corn syrup) for the jelly option, and you can use Nutella or the Trader Joe’s Cocoa Almond Butter for the cocoa ones! You’ll also want to be sure to get the NATURAL peanut butter without hydrogenated oils, as these are trans fats which will build up plaque in the arteries. The World Health Organization is banning hydrogenated oils due to it’s tie in with heart disease in 2023, but until then just read the ingredients and be sure to avoid them to keep your heart healthy.
Check out my easy to make recipe below, with only 6 ingredients! Each cooke comes in between 90-100 calories (depending on filling), has less than 10 grams of carb, and over 3 grams of protein to keep you full!
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
Serves: 24 Cookies
- 1 Cup Natural Peanut Butter (no hydrogenated oils in the ingredients)
- 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar, more for rolling
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- Organic Fruit Preserves and/or Cocoa Spread
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients (except filling) and mix with a wooden spoon or your hands
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Shape dough into 24 small 1-inch balls
- Roll each ball in granulated sugar to coat
- Place on parchment-lined cookie sheet
- Lightly press the center of each dough ball with your thumb to create a well
- Add ¼ teaspoon of jam or cocoa spread in the center of each cookie
- Bake for 7 – 9 minutes, until set on the outside but still very soft – do not over bake!
- Slide the parchment papaer from the baking sheet onto the counter. Let cool for 5 minutes before enjoying!