Y’all know I’m a huge fan of easy dinners that encompass everything you need to feel satisfied in one pot. This one pot family friend meal is just that – the pasta has both carb and protein, the Palmetto Gardens kale is your veggie, and then you of course have cheese for more protein and taste!
It’s a great spin on a classic dish! You can make this mac and cheese two ways: eat it right off the stove top or bake it for a more crispy crust.
You will have half a bag of Palmetto Gardens Kale leftover to make another batch of mac and cheese – or you can check out my Southwestern Kale Power Bowl here. Happy cooking!
Mac and Cheese with Greens (Gluten Free)
- 12oz Chickpea or Red Lentil Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Bag of @Palmetto Garden’s Kale (~5.5 Cups)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 Cups 2% Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Cayenne Pepper, to taste
- 8oz Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- 8oz Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 Cup Gluten Free Panko Breadcrumbs (optional)
- Optional: If you would like to bake your Mac and Cheese, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook until it is al dente, about 7-9 minutes. Strain the pasta and set aside.
- Heat a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and swirl to coat. Add half of the kale, garlic and black pepper. Cover and cook until it starts to wilt. Stir and add the remaining kale. Cover and cook another 3 minutes until it is all wilted (avoid over cooking as the kale can get bitter). Remove the cooked kale and place it in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Whisk the milk and cornstarch together in a bowl until smooth. Add to the Dutch oven over medium heat along with the butter, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens about 5 minutes. Add the Grueyere and Cheddar and continue to stir until all the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the pasta to the saucepan and stir to combine. Gentle fold in the kale and serve!
- Baked Option: Pour into a 13×9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the mac and cheese and baked on 425 degrees F until the cheese is bubbly and the bread crumbs are lightly browned and crispy, about 10 minutes. Serve.
This post was sponsored by Palmetto Gardens