A couple of weeks ago I had the honor of throwing a baby shower for one of my best friends (who also happens to be a Registered Dietitian), Lynn!
There were several people on the guest list who had Celiac Disease, so (being the food safety focused person that I am) we turned it into a gluten free baby shower (no cross contamination here). It actually was not hard at all since I shop at Trader Joe’s, and the guests LOVED it!
Lynn chose the CUTEST theme for her baby’s nursery: woodland animals! I had so much fun playing around with this theme (it also helped that much of my house was already decorated pretty rustically). From the invitations, to the decor, to the games, and of course the nut and berry trail mix favors (!!) I had so much fun planning this celebration for one of my best friends.
What’s on the menu:
I purchased everything at Trader Joe’s because they have SO many gluten free options!
Hash Brown Egg Nests with Veggies
I used the Frozen Hash Browns from Trader Joe’s – I put the hash browns in muffin tins first and baked them, and then I added frozen spinach, cherry tomatoes, eggs (beaten), and topped with low fat cheese before baking again.
Gluten Free Waffle and Strawberry Skewers
For these skewers I simply toasted up a box of Gluten Free Waffles, cut them into four pieces each, and skewered them with halved strawberries. I also served organic maple syrup on the side!
Avocado Toast on Gluten Free Bread with Everything Bagel Seasoning
Though this seems like the simplest dish of the day (and a total “what can I make that’s EASY ?!” hostess moment) this was the most popular dish of the day! I cannot tell you how amazing the Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Multi-Grain bread was. No one could believe it was gluten free. Simply toast the bread, top with avocado slices, and sprinkle with Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel Seasoning – and you’ve got a hit!
Maple Chicken Breakfast Sausage and Uncured Bacon
Yogurt Parfait Bar
An easy and fresh brunch idea! I used the Trader Joe’s Greek 0% vanilla yogurt, fresh organic blueberries and strawberries, raw almonds, and Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Pecan Praline Granola.
Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting from The Chocolate Moose in Greenville SC
Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a cook – not a baker. So I referred out to the experts on this one. These cupcakes were SO GOOD and adorable!
Vegan Kale and Sweet Potato Hash
Vegan Kale and Sweet Potato Hash
Serves: 4-8 (4 individual servings, 8 servings for buffet)
- 1 box Trader Joe’s Hi-Protein Veggie Burgers
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced/pressed
- 1 1/3 pound sweet potatoes, cut into 1″ squares
- 1 (10oz) bag organic Tuscan kale
- 1/2 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat the veggie burgers according to the directions on the box. Cut into 1-2″ chunks and set aside.
- In a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat, add the olive oil and swirl to coat.
- Add the onion and garlic. Saute until fragrant about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, and mix well with the onions and garlic. Cover and cook until the sweet potatoes are cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the kale, paprika, and black pepper. Mix well, and then cover and cook for 4-5 minutes (be careful not to over cook the kale).
- Serve and enjoy!