You asked for a healthy potato dish for the holdiays, and I delivered!
Recently on Instagram, I asked what was the dish that you looked forward to the most during the holidays, and mashed potatoes got one of the top votes. However, this dish that is traditionally made with lots of butter and heavy cream doesn’t have to be completly tasteless when you make it healthier. Here I came up with a time efficient to roast a whole clove of garlic to add in with all of the other ingredients which not only has a great flavor, it also makes your house smell incredible.
I also cut the carb count on this recipe by using half gold potatoes, and half caulfilower. The texture and falvor is amazing, and your guests/kids won’t be able to tell that they are also getting in some non-starchy vegetables! I left the skins on the potatoes for added fiber and texture, but if you want to peel them instead that definitely is an option too.
Check it out below:
Roasted Garlic and Chive Mashed Cauliflower & Potatoes
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated, left in skin
- 1/3 Cup + 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 pounds golden potatoes, skins on, cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 pounds cauliflower florets (about 2 heads)
- 2/3 Cup 1% milk
- 3 Tablespoons organic unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup chives, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the separated garlic cloves in the middle of a sheet of foil. Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Wrap the foil around the cloves creating a little pouch.
- Place the pouch in the oven until cloves soften and you smell the aroma of garlic, about 30-40 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- While garlic roasts, in 7- to 8-quart saucepot, place the potatoes with enough water to cover it by 2 inches. Partially cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and for simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower florets, and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is very tender and can be cut with a wooden spoon.
- Drain the potatoes and cauliflower and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in small microwave-safe bowl, microwave the 1% milk and butter on medium high for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes or until the butter has melted. Add the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves from skins into the potatoes and cauliflower mixture. Add the butter mixture to the potatoes and cauliflower along with 1 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons black pepper.
- Mash the potatoes and cauliflower with a potato masher or hand mixer until very smooth. Mix in chives with a wooden spoon.
- Serve immediately, or hold until service at 135 degrees.
Nutrition Facts (1 serving): 232 Calories, 15.9g Total Fat, 5.8g Saturated Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 19mg Cholesterol, 268mg Sodium, 21.7g Total Carbohyrate, 5g Fiber, 4.4g Sugar, 4g Protein
Want to know more about a having a healthy holiday season? Contact me to set up your FREE 15 minute phone appointment today!