Today we are talking about the 80/20 rule. Not sure what that is? Instead of trying to “eatperfect” 100% of the time, to to make 80% of your intake come from functional foods, and 20% of your intake from fun foods. This is something that I practice with my clients on a regular basis.
A healthy lifestyle is all about balance and knowing that you don’t have to give up burgers for the rest of your life.
Here are some tips on finding 20% balance in your diet:
- Eliminate the all or nothing mindset. A healthy lifestyle is not about depriving yourself of the things you love. Find ways to incorporate “fun foods” in a way you are comfortable with.
- Stop using the word “cheat.” When I hear someone say this I ask “who are you cheating on??” This can imply that healthy eating is a punishment and cheating is a reward…and that’s not how it works in a healthy lifestyle.
- Ask yourself: what does the food do for you? Maybe a wine and cheese night with the girls is something you need to feed your soul – foods can be nourishing in other ways and it’s important to remember this.
- Stick with the foods you really love. I encourage my clients to make conscious choices when it comes to their 20%. Think less “this happened so I had to eat a burger” and use your meal planning time to make these conscious choices ahead of time. Try changing this to “we went out to see a band and I chose to have a fried chicken salad as a part of my 20%.”
- Find a balance within your 20%. You can use the portion plate even with fun foods! Consider focusing on one or two parts of the meal as fun foods, and still making sure you have 50% of your plate as veggies.
Have questions about finding a healthy 80/20 balance? Set up your first FREE 15 minute initial appointment by clicking here!